Leg of lamb with boulangère potatoes
6 large (1.5kg) waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
3 onions, thinly sliced
leaves from 1 bunch of thyme
1 shoulder of lamb, about 2kg
1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
600ml chicken stock
1.Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3. In a big bowl, combine the potatoes, onions and thyme. Roughly layer the potatoes and onions in a roasting tray and put the lamb on top, skin-side up.
2. Pierce the lamb all over, and put a clove of garlic into each hole. Pour over the chicken stock and put in the oven for 4-5 hours, until the lamb is tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
3. Remove the lamb from the oven and place on a warmed plate. Cover with foil, and leave to rest for 20 mins.
4. While the lamb rests, return the potatoes to the oven. Serve after the meat has rested.
NOTE: This works just as well with a breast of lamb, just adjust the cooking time as appropriate
Potatoes and onions
- Phil Collins Mkt Gardener
- Chris Rich
- Garlic Farm
- Hinton Harvest
Leg of Lamb
- Hazelbury Manor Organic Meat
- Kimber Farms Traditional Meat
- Thoroughly Wild Meat Co